About Novosibirsk State University
Novosibirsk State University is located in the world-famous scientific center – Akademgorodok. 80% of NSU faculty members are scientists from the Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences. So education is carried out in close connection with the world-class scientific achievements.
Everything is within walking distance to our compact campus: university dormitories, sports center, stadium,35 scientific institutes, and an innovative technopark (Academpark) are within 10 minutes walk from the campus.
Novosibirsk is the non-official capital of Siberia and the scientific center of Russia. Moreover it is one of the most rapidly growing cities in the country being its Siberian cultural and economic center as well as a major transportation hub. In Novosibirsk one can obtain high-quality English taught training at comparatively low cost of living and education. ...
Novosibirsk is among the top 20 Best Student Cities in the world according to the availability of education. Ranking specialists especially point out the unique R&D atmosphere of the Academgorodok center where Novosibirsk State University is located.
According to the QS experts, Novosibirsk State University is the second best university in Russia. But the costs of studying and costs of living here are substantially lower here than in Moscow or St.Petersburg.
Akademgorodok is located 30 kilometers away from Novosibirsk. This means no disadvantages of the big city, like noise or smog, but all the benefits: make sure you go to see the Nutcracker in the Opera and Ballet Theatre, the largest theatre in Russia with the a world-famous theatrical troupe.
Akademgorodok's surroundings are the best sites for those who cannot imagine their life without mountain biking, skiing and hiking. And the vast expanse of the Ob sea attracts windsurfers in summer, and snow-kiterss in winter.
Novosibirsk is the center of Siberia and its largest transport hub. This means that during the time of your studies here you can visit all of the Siberian cities, as well as the mountain country in Altai, world-famous known for its pristine lakes, granite rocks and steep trails.
Anyone can find something to enjoy in Novosibirsk: winter snow or summer on the beach, the rhythm of the modern metropolis or the grandeur of vast forests and fields, the permanence of traditional cultures or the best of science in Russia. And, of course, you will definitely feel the real Russian hospitality.
Three institutes and six departments guarantee a fundamental education that meets international standards. All divisions are closely linked together: the University offers an interdisciplinary approach, interaction with institutes and departments as well as mutual development:
- INSTITUTE FOR THE HUMANITIES
- V. ZELMAN INSTITUTE FOR THE MEDICINE AND PSYCHOLOGY
- INSTITUTE FOR THE PHILOSOPHY AND LAW
- DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICS
- DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL SCIENCES
- DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS
- DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS AND MECHANICS
- DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES
- DEPARTMENT OF GEOLOGY AND GEOPHYSICS
- Institute for the Humanities
- Institute for Medicine and Psychology
- Institute for the Philosophy and Law
- Faculty of Economics
- Faculty of Foreign Languages
- Faculty of Geology and Geophysics
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Information Technologies
- Faculty of Journalism Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Mechanics and Mathematics (FMM)
- Faculty of Medicine NSU
- Faculty of Natural Sciences (FNS)
- Faculty of Philosophy Faculty of Physics Faculty of Psychology
Novosibirsk State University is Russia's largest scientific and educational centre. Situated in the research center of Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences - Akademgorodok - with its 35 research institutes and innovative technopark, NSU's students have the opportunity to perform research in more than 100 research laboratories. The University aims to train high-profile specialists to assume leadership roles in science, education and science-intensive industries.
Novosibirsk State University's principal areas of teaching and research include, but are not limited to elementary particle physics, photonics and quantum optics, Arctic research, biomedicine and cancer therapy, chemical engineering, low-dimensional hybrid materials, omic technologies, mathematics, archaeology and ethnography, and linguistics among other disciplines.
- Accommodations. New dormitories for international students are located a three-minute walk from the university. Comfortable double rooms with forest views are available, as well as some home-stay opportunities. The campus is located 800 meters from the Ob' Sea reservoir and its beaches.
- Support for new students. The University offers an adaptation program for international students (pre-arrival support, welcome talk, welcome party, international student advisors, excursions to Novosibirsk city, clubs, courses on Russian culture).
- Library. Free educational, scientific and fictional literature; free access to the world's largest publishers and 24 global and Russian databases.
- Sport. The NSU sports center offers 40 sport activities to students, university staff and all interested in sports, including two swimming pools, tennis courts, two stadiums, a small football field, and seven specialized halls: two game halls, an aerobics hall, a gymnastics hall, a wrestling hall, a boxing hall and a gymnasium.
- Societies & Clubs. The University caters to a large variety of tastes in dance, music, drawing, singing and theater, with different groups of students participating in various performances. Students do not need any special preparation to join most such clubs. All classes take place on the NSU campus.
The Specialized Educational Scientific Centre of NSU
The M. A. Lavrentiev Physics and Mathematics School at NSU is one of four specialized educational scientific centers, aka boarding schools, in Russia. Every August gifted senior high-school students after 8th,9th or 10rg grade come to the school to spend the next 3 weeks at the math & science summer boot camp followed by a series of complicated exams. Once enrolled, students dive into a unique academic environment filled with various research opportunities, experiments, new achievements and educational adventures.
NSU's Specialized Educational Scientific Centre (SESC) focuses on two fields, including math & physics and chemistry & biology. An education system closely resembles the college education, with separate general lectures and small-group seminars.