Despite the geographical distance from the capital of Russia, Moscow, Irkutsk and Irkutsk Oblast, a picturesque region of the country, nevertheless have a rich history, Siberian climate, and great opportunities for visiting students and residents alike.
1. The Irkutsk Oblast is located in the very heart of Siberia. Its capital is the city of Irkutsk. The distance from Moscow to Irkutsk is five thousand kilometres. The oblast ranks 6th out of the 20 political regions in Siberia in terms of area. The airport enjoys international status with connections to several nearby nations.
2. The history of the Irkutsk Oblast takes its beginning in 1682 when the Domain (Voivode) of Irkutsk was formed which was then restructured into a province in 1719. In the whole of the oblast, there are 2.700.000 residents accounting for 30% of the entire population of Eastern Siberia. The main city of this territory is the city of Irkutsk, founded in 1661, and maintaining to this day more than 600,000 people. ...
3. The Irkutsk Oblast is characterised as having a sharply continental climate with very long and cold winters with little atmospheric precipitation. Nevertheless, the summers are rather warm and humid. The average yearly temperature doesn't excede 0ºC anywhere in the oblast.
In the coldest month of winter, January, the temperature ranges from -20 to -50ºC. In July, the warmest month, the average temperature is +18ºC with a maximum temperature of +37ºC. The longest season is winter, lasting on average 180-200 days. Particularly in winter do you have the unique opportunity to contemplate and enjoy the winter beauty of the city, region, and Baikal. Regarding the number of sunny days, Irkutsk and the southern part of the oblast are comparable to Southern California, averaging 300 days of sunshine per year.
4. Irkutsk today is a major industrial, academic, and cultural center. The city is fairly well situated on the banks of the Angara river, 65 km from lake Baikal.
Irkutsk is home to one of the branches of the Scientific Academy, maintaining eight institutes of science. There are ten universities, sixty-eight libraries, eighty schools, a drama theatre, musical theatre, puppet theatre, children's theatre, organ hall, entertainment venues, restaurants, and a multitude of cafes, all located in Irkutsk.
Faculty of Biology and Soil Studies
Faculty of Geography
Faculty of Geology
Faculty of History
Faculty of Psychology
Faculty of Religious Studies and Theology
Faculty of Service and Advertising
The Faculty of Service and Advertising was opened on the 22nd of March 1997 at the Irkutsk State University.
In 2008, the faculty received a certificate of compliance with international standards on quality management IQNet 9001-2000 (Switzerland) and a certificate of compliance with international standards on quality management CroCert by ISO 9001:2000 (Croatia).
In 2012, an international educating program in intercultural communication studies was launched.
The program gives students the opportunity to study simultaneously at two universities to obtain two diplomas: Irkutsk State University (Faculty of Service and Advertising) and Adam Mickiewicz University (Poland).
Today, 4 student enterprises work at the faculty:
“ReAstat”, an advertising agency, the tourist center
“Magnit”, the employment centre “Start”, and a Marketing Research Laboratory, “MarIs “.
These enterprises cultivate culture, business technology, and professional competences of its students. They were formed in the Irkutsk State University within the grant provided by the European Union within the framework of Tempus – TACIS (Russia, France, and Italy). Since 2010, the Research and Training Center “Sarma” has been operating at the faculty with a base on Baikal. In summer, the centre makes it possible to obtain additional knowledge through seminars and workshops, schools, high schools, and competitions in collaboration with leading Russian and foreign scientists and experts.
Currently, the Faculty of Service and Advertising is a modern, high-tech faculty. Its graduates are in demand in various fields of life in the city, region and country.
Service and Service Technology;
Entrepreneurship and Management in Service and Advertising;
Applied Informatics and Records Management;
Psychology and Cultural Studies;
Mass Communications and Media (based on the Publishing House «Komsomolskaya Pravda –Baikal»);
Center for Information Technology.
Faculty of Philology and Journalism
Faculty of Foreign Languages
Faculty of Physics
Faculty of Chemistry
We offer sleeping bag accommodation and made up beds. All rooms have shared bathroom and kitchen facilities. Student hostel offers free Wi-Fi access in public areas. The hotel is a non smoking property. Student hostel is located in central of campus. Open to everyone during the summer months.
25 25th-October St.
8a Ulan-Batorskaya St.
55a Dalnevostochnaya St.
40 Sibirskaya St.
6 Ulan-Batorskaya St.
12 Ulan-Batorskaya St.
Irkutsk is the sixth largest city in Siberia, the capital of the Irkutsk region, Russia. It is located in Eastern Siberia, on the banks of the Angara River, at the confluence with the Irkut River (hence the name of the city), 66 km to the west of Lake Baikal, about 5,200 km to the east of Moscow.
Irkutsk Places of interest
Irkutsk is one of the few cities in Siberia, which managed to preserve its historic character and original layout. Its historic center was formed on the site of a wooden fortress, the remains of which were dismantled in 1790. Today, Irkutsk has about 700 monuments of wooden architecture.
Church of the Saviour (Sukhe Bator Street, 2) is the only surviving building of the fortress. Together with the Epiphany Cathedral , they form the oldest architectural ensemble of Irkutsk.
Another prominent ensemble of the city is located on the waterfront of the Angara, in the beginning of Karl Marx Street. It is formed by the monument to the founder of Trans-Siberian Railway – Alexander III, the local history museum with round corner towers made in the Moorish style, and Sibiryakov’s Palace, better known as the “White House”, which served as the residence of the governors-general in 1838-1917.
On the main streets of the city – Karl Marx and Lenin, intersecting with each other – you can find a lot of monuments of stone architecture of the late 19th – early 20th centuries. The main pedestrian street is Uritsky Street.
In 1930-1940s, buildings in the style of Soviet constructivism appeared in the city. Monumental art of the Soviet period is represented by the memorial complex “Eternal Flame”, the monument to Vladimir Lenin, the monument to the fighters of the revolution, and others.
Among the monuments emerged after the collapse of the Soviet Union, there are the restored monument to Alexander III and the triumphal arch Moscow Gates. Until now, many streets of the historic center retain their Soviet names.