About Research Medical University
Research Medical University of Volga region, Russian: (old-name: Nizhny Novgorod State Medical Academy, NNSMA) is one of the medical schools in the Russian Federation which is located in the city of Nizhny Novgorod.
This medical school is currently ranked number 7 out of 46 higher medical institutions in Russia, acknowledged by World Health Organization and is recognised by the governments of some other countries which send their students to this academy for medical education and training.
This academy also is associated with many teaching hospitals distributed throughout the city, where the students learn many basic clinical skills. There are 70 specialised departments with over 600 teaching staff. It has approximately 3000 students in 7 faculties which include:...
- Faculty of Medicine
- Most students have to undergo one year of preliminary course for one year, before continuing their undergraduate studies. General Medicine program lasts after 6 years.
- The first academic year of the General Medicine course begins with the teaching of fundamental medical sciences such as medical biology, Biophysics, general chemistry and Organic Chemistry, History of Medicine, Human Anatomy, and so on. Because of the aforementioned, the course runs in a longer duration (a 6-year programme) as compared to General Medicine courses (5-year programmes) offered by other universities in other countries.
- Clinical education starts officially on the third academic year with the so-called "cycles". Every few weeks, students are rotated and exposed to different parts of clinical medicine such as Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Infectious Diseases, Pediatrics, Obstetrics, Gynecology, Neurology, Orthopedics, Radiology, Public Health and so on. Classes are then conducted in different specialised hospitals within the Nizhny Novgorod region.
- Upon graduation, the graduates are awarded a first professional degree which is the doctor of medicine or M.D. which is an M.B.B.S. equivalent because the graduates have been trained in the field of general surgery. Students who have achieved very well academically are awarded with a red degree or a first class honor equivalent.
- Faculty of Pediatrics
- physicians are taught here to treat children. The Regional Pediatric Hospital and the Institute for Pediatric Research have been selected as teaching hospitals. Duration of the course is 6 years.
- Faculty of Pharmacy
- specialists are trained here to implement the main prophylactic principles of public health to prevent diseases. Graduates from the Faculty are qualified as Hygienists and Epidemiologists. Duration of the course is 6 years.
- Faculty of Medico-prophylaxis (Preventive medicine)
- Faculty of Stomatology (Dentistry)
- specialists in Dentistry are trained here. After the basic course graduate students ought to have special primary internship training in the following branches: Dental Therapy, Dental Surgery, Dental Orthopedics, Pediatric Dentistry. Duration of training is 5 years.
- Faculty of Higher Nursing Education
- Faculty of Preparatory courses (Pre-medical courses)
- The administrative office of the academy is situated in the Minin and Pozharsky Square (located alongside the Volga River and the medical students live in dormitories on Meditsinskaya Street in Prioksky City District.
Faculty of Foreign Admissions
Besides Russian students, there are also students from foreign countries such as Morocco, Malaysia, India, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Mauritius, Kenya, Tanzania, Jordan, Pakistan, Namibia and many others who study in this academy. Some of the foreign students study medicine completely in English medium, and some others study in Russian language. The current Dean of the Foreign Students Department is Professor Stelnikova D.Sc., who is also the Head of the Department for anatomy.
However, students who study in English medium also have to study Russian language to be able to communicate with local Russian people who have very little knowledge of English, and thus being able to communicate with patients for basic clinical training.
Accommodation and Cultural Life
Each hostel is equipped with a canteen and cafe with provisions of kitchen and dining hall on each floor. The academy provides a springboard for sportsmen with sporting facilities such as sports complex, including gymnasium, indoor football, badminton, tennis, volleyball, athletic stadiums, etc. Different social and cultural events are organized for foreign students. National and International associations of students are being organized to unite students from different countries.
Veliky Novgorod is one of the oldest Russian cities, it is 1160 years old. Currently, the city population is about one million people.
Since the XI century, Veliky Novgorod was the center of culture and education. In the city there are unique Orthodox cathedrals and a fortress, built in the XII century. It was in this city that the first works of ancient Russian literature and masterpieces of iconography appeared.
Veliky Novgorod impresses with its architectural and artistic appearance, making walks, you will be able to fully enjoy the charm of the ancient Russian city.
Friendliness and openness to citizens - emphasize the traditions of Russian hospitality.
Veliky Novgorod is located 550 kilometers from Moscow, the capital of Russia, and 180 kilometers from St. Petersburg, the northern and cultural capital of Russia. Such a convenient location will allow you to make interesting excursions, to know Russia in all its diversity.
The climate in the region is characterized by warm summers and moderately cold winters. The city is located on the banks of the picturesque river Volkhov. In the city and its environs there are a lot of greenery - parks, forests, fields. All this creates a comfortable atmosphere and an ecological environment.