South Ural State University is the center for educational, scientific, cultural and athletic activities in the city Chelyabinsk and the region.
Founded in 1943 as Chelyabinsk Mechanical Engineering Institute, the university was reorganized into Chelyabinsk Polytechnic Institute in 1951, and in 1990 it became the Chelyabinsk State Technical University.Since 1997, the university is known as South Ural State University. In 2010 it was assigned the status as a National Research University.
- School of Economics and Management is the engine for breakthrough changes happening at SUSU.
The best scientific, academic and student traditions of the SUSU economic faculties are concentrated in this subdivision. The School of Economics and Management combines the professor and teaching body of the faculties of Economics and Management, Economics and Business, the Institute of Economics, Trade, and Technologies, and the International Faculty.
Within the School of Economics and Management, ambitious projects are being released for the first time in the Ural region, such as the zone of elite training for applicants with high marks on the EGE, and the zone for elite business education in MBA programs. Students of the SEM will be actively involved in the innovative business sphere of the university (youth business incubator, innovation center, virtual bank and stock market, and so on).
Among the most important advantages of the School of Economics and Management are – inclusion in the academic process such models and techniques of education as MOOC, LMS, E-learning, and the use of professional cases (Laboratory of Cases) within the academic process.
Students of the SEM will go through their education in an English-speaking atmosphere. At their disposal: English-speaking education programs and international, world-class economists. The School of Economics will realize dual degree programs with leading universities of the USA, China, Europe, and countries of the SCO. The SEM structure offers strengthened mathematic training of economists.
Thanks to tiered financial and grant support, students can fully dedicate themselves to their education.
SUSU actively cooperates with international corporations (Emerson, Endress+Hauser), and the most dedicated and active students in the SEM will be able to begin their career during their education by completing internship in leading transnational companies.
The strategic goal of the School of Economics is not just to train economists and managers; it’s also to pass on the business spirit to students and educate a new breed of businessmen. This is possible only with the parallel, mutually beneficial development of science, educational techniques, and business.
The School of Economics and Management is:
- A zone of elite training for talented applicants with high marks on the EGE;
- Education by individual academic trajectories;
- Lectures by leading international professors and researchers;
- The formation of an English-speaking environment and implementation of English-language education programs;
- Dual Degree programs alongside other leading universities;
- The chance to receive elite business education as part of the bachelor’s and master’s program in business administration;
- The developed system of financial and grant support;
- The organization of internships and employment of students in the world’s leading high-tech international and Russian companies;
- Involvement of freshman students in the formation of the university’s innovative business environment (youth business incubator, innovative center, virtual bank and stock market);
- The use of innovative education models and techniques (MOOC, LMS, E-learning);
- The wide use of professional cases, business and organizational activity games for a new, innovative type of managers.
- School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science unites the Faculty of Computer Technologies, Control and Radio Engineering (the Instrument Engineering) and the Faculty of Computational Mathematics and Computer Science, and continues the 60-year-old tradition of technical and engineering education at the South Ural. The goal of the School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science is to create a scientific and educational environment targeted at training specialists in the field of instrument engineering, radio electronics, automated control, information security, computer science and sowtware engineering. The School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science performs training of bachelors, specialists, masters, candidates and doctors of sciences in such areas as instrument engineering, motion control systems and navigation, aircraft control systems, control in engineering systems, information communication technologies and communication systems, design and technology of electronic devices, radio electronic systems and complexes, computer science and computer engineering, information security, program engineering, fundamental informatics and information technology. Infrastructure of the School of Electronic Engineering and Computer Science includes more than 30 laboratories and research and education centers which have unique equipment in the field of radio electronics, control systems, automation tools and electronic computation systems. Supercomputer systems, laboratories for industrial control systems and for measuring systems, automation platforms, network and telecommunication equipment are all available for our students, postgraduates, and lecturers for successful studying and research activity. The School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science includes 10 departments which perform training of bachelors, specialists, masters and candidates of sciences in the fields of instrument engineering and automated control, radio electronics and computer science.
- Originally, South Ural State University was established as a polytechnic higher education institution. Its scientific and educational process had been technically oriented for many years. The unification of all engineering faculties of the base industrial sectors has propelled the University to a fundamentally new level. It allows us to integrate all educational and scientific resources and, thus, to maximize the University’s competitiveness and strengthen its leading position in the field of engineering knowledge both in the South Ural capital, and beyond. The Faculties of Automobile and Tractor Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Power Engineering, the Faculty of Mechanics and Technology, and the Faculty of Materials and Metallurgical Technologies are organized into the new University structure. The Institute of Engineering and Technology has its own Extramural Faculty. The Polytechnic Institute of SUSU in Chelyabinsk combines 19 technically oriented departments; and each of them has its own unique field of development. Five more base departments of the Institute are located in various cities of the Chelyabinsk Region. The structure of Institute of Engineering and Technology includes 5 scientific departments, 6 university-wide research and education centers (REC), and scientific research laboratories: REC “Aerospace Technology”; Center for Collective Use “Power Engineering and Supply”; Secondary Vocational Education Department “Summer Operation of Aircrafts”; “Aviation Training Center”; “Rocket and Space Technology Education Center named after V.P. Makeyev”; REC “Experimental Mechanics”; REC “Composite Materials and Constructions”, etc. One of the Institute’s core advantages is an exclusive engineering training center. It is a so-called “school for high achieving students” which offers enhanced training for all engineering specializations and pays special attention to mathematical disciplines. The students of our elite training center interact with leading professors of the Institute of Engineering and Technology and have an advantage when realizing their ideas in the framework of small innovative enterprises of the University.
- Due to the global changes at the university and Project 5-100 implementation, the SUSU Faculty of Architecture and the Faculty of Architecture and Construction have been united to become the Institute of Architecture and Construction.
- In 2016, the University established a unique and innovative department which combined the most outstanding achievements in the fields of Fundamental and Biomedicine, Food and Biotechnologies, and Clinical Psychology
The study of molecular mechanisms of stress, and development of technologies for production of functional purpose products for adaptive nutrition have become a newly created exclusive growing point for the breakthrough areas of global scientific development. School of Medicine Biology prepares future specialists in the fields of biotechnology, functional nutrition and clinical psychology. School of Medicine Biology alumni receive modern education based on interdisciplinary connections of medicine and biology with chemistry, physics, mathematics, computer science, and engineering.
- The Institute of Linguistics and International Communications accumulates the latest achievements of theoretical and applied science in the field of linguistics, philology, international relations, management, history and archeology.
- In 2016 SUSU entered the Project 5-100, a program for competitiveness improvement, and as a result the Institute of Natural Sciences and Mathematics was established, which in its structure combined the Faculties of Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Mechanics and Computer Sciences. The Institute inherits the traditions of the Russian university education on natural sciences recognized all around the world.
- The Institute of Sport, Tourism and Service is a subdivision of National Research South Ural state University. The Institute unites all the best scientific, educational , sport and student traditions of SUSU.
- The Institute of Law is a principally new format of subdivision, within which all of the best scientific, academic, and student traditions of the SUSU legal departments and subdivisions are combined. The universal training profiles of the Institute of Law are oriented at employers of the state-legal, civil, and criminal spheres.
Famous for its fine traditions, SUSU Campus is the oldest campus in the Chelyabinsk Oblast. Campus is equipped with everything necessary for comfortable living, studying and maintaining good physical shape and health. Free internet access allows students to take advantage of the universities information sources: department’s and faculty’s file servers, SUSU electronic resources, scientific library website and major databases.
Dormitories are fitted with study rooms, halls for weightlifting, shaping and recreational gymnastics, recreation areas, where students relax and watch movies and TV.
In the new academic year dormitory № 3 will transform with the help of the students of the Institute of Architecture and Construction. They developed the design-project and it was approved by the Rector of the SUSU. The project entails colourful redecoration of the recreation areas and halls.
All dormitories have interior and exterior video surveillance systems and staff is trained in fire safety procedures.
Fire safety briefing and all internal regulations are translated into English, Arabic, Chinese and French.
Chelyabinsk is one of the largest industrial, economic, cultural, and business centers of Russia, the administrative center of Chelyabinsk Oblast. This city is located on the geological border of the Urals and Siberia, in the Asian part of Russia, on the eastern slope of the Ural Mountains, on both banks of the Miass River, about 1,800 km east of Moscow.
Main Attractions of Chelyabinsk
Kirovka Pedestrian Street – an analogue of the pedestrian street of Arbat in Moscow. Here you can see a number of interesting monuments (“Zero Milestone”, the monuments to volunteer tankers, Alexander Rosenbaum, the founders of Chelyabinsk), as well as sculptures (“The Boy with the Camels”, “The Artist at the Mirror Easel”, “The Saxophonist”, “The Coquette”, “The Beggar”, “The Merchant”, and others).
Also on this street there are shops, cafes, entertainment facilities, buildings of the early 20th century, and the business center “Chelyabinsk-City”.
Aloye Pole (Scarlet Field) – a park located in the very center of Chelyabinsk, one of its most popular holiday destinations. In the 19th century, it was a square where the city fair was held. In 1905, a demonstration of workers was dispersed by force here. That’s why the place got a new name – “Scarlet Square”. In 2000, the park received the status of a historical place.
Central Park of Culture and Rest named after Yury Gagarin. This park adjacent to the relict pine forest is the most beautiful park in Chelyabinsk with rides, sports grounds and playgrounds, a contact zoo, a summer movie theater. Fresh air, thick crowns of trees, blue expanse of ponds, comfort, and cleanliness attract residents and visitors of the city.
Chelyabinsk Zoo. On an area of 8 hectares, more than 130 species of animals live, of which more than 80 are listed in the Red Book including polar bears, Amur tigers, leopards. There is also a contact zoo on the territory, where children can also feed animals and play with them. Truda Street, 191.
Historical Museum of the Southern Urals. There are three permanent exhibitions dedicated to nature and ancient history, folklife, and history of the 20th century. The museum has old photographs, documents, books, paintings of the 18th-20th centuries, household items and clothing of Russians, nomads, and Tatar-Bashkir tribes, Zlatoust engravings, ancient coins, mineralogical collections, bones of extinct animals, and stuffed animals.
The museum also exhibits the largest (weighing half a ton) of the found fragments of the Chelyabinsk Meteor that exploded in the sky above the city at an altitude of about 15-25 km in 2013. Truda Street, 100.
Museum of Fine Arts. This museum has several thousand exhibits of Western European, Eastern, and Russian art. Here you can see the works of world-famous artists: Aivazovsky, Levitan, Shishkin. Also there is an interesting collection of icons of the 16th-19th centuries. Truda Street, 92a.
Museum of Arts and Crafts of the Urals. Here you can see the whole range of folk art crafts of the Southern Urals: products of the Zlatoust weapons factory, exhibits demonstrating the skill of local carvers and jewelers, hand-painted utensils, porcelain products of the South Ural factory, etc. Revolution Square, 1.
Chelyabinsk Railway Museum. The museum exposition is located in two places: in the building #63 on Tsvillinga Street, where more than 14 thousand exhibits are stored, and at the Chelyabinsk Railway Station (Zheleznodorozhnaya Street, 1/1), where you can see various railway equipment: steam locomotives, electric locomotives, modern trains, military trains, and special equipment. In the exhibition halls, you can see rails, station bells, old tickets, lights, signaling devices, and other items.
Museum of the Chelyabinsk Tractor Plant – the largest and most popular museum in the region. It is dedicated to the history and activities of the Chelyabinsk Tractor Plant. The museum has several thousand photographs, documents, personal belongings of employees, posters, newspaper clippings. It is better to visit this museum with a thematic tour, during which you can not only learn interesting facts, but also feel the true spirit of the plant and the city of Chelyabinsk. Lenina Avenue, 19.
Holy Trinity Church (1914) – the largest church in Chelyabinsk built of red brick and topped with a green roof. The main feature of this building is a large number of arched windows on all tiers and an abundance of decorative ornaments on the facade. Inside, the walls and ceiling are painted with murals on biblical themes. Kirova, 60?.
Monument to Kurchatov. Igor Kurchatov, the famous Soviet scientist and creator of the first atomic bomb in the USSR, was born in the town of Sim of Chelyabinsk Oblast in 1903. In 1986, in honor of the 250th anniversary of Chelyabinsk, the monument “Split Atom” was erected in his honor on Nauki (Science) Square. It consists of two vertical platforms 27 meters high, which symbolize an elementary particle, and the figure of Kurchatov standing in the middle. Lenina Avenue, 86.