About Yaroslavl State Medical Academy
Yaroslavl State Medical University (YSMU) was founded in 1944. And now it has more than half-a-century history. At present, YSMU is the big regional center of excellent quality medical education and bio-medical research. It is also the leader in medical training and post-graduation education, retraining of specialists of practical healthcare, medicine, pharmacy, and high skilled academic staff for the central regions of Russia.
There are several faculties in YSMU, among most important are:
- General Medicine Faculty,
- Pediatric Faculty,
- Pharmacy Faculty,
- Stomatology Faculty,
- Faculty of Middle-Range Professional Education and Pre-Education Study
- Faculty of Post-Diploma Professional Education and Education of Personnel of Highest Qualification,
- Faculty of Additional Professional Education.
In addition, there is the Institute of Post-Diploma Education of YSMU.
At present about 4500 students are studying at YSMU (including foreign students). Medical training and education are conducted by 57 departments that have all the necessary equipment to provide high quality education according to available Russian and international modern standards. At YSMU, there are prepared highly qualified specialists of all local hospitals and medical institutions and professionals from other regions of Russia.
Today the staff of YSMU includes approximately 1200 employees. The academic staff of YSMU consists of more than 500 persons (instructors). Among them 375 persons have the M.D. & Ph.D. titles (candidates of sciences, assistant and associate professors) there are more than 100 doctors of sciences and full professors. Many of them are members of different Russian and foreign international societies and are well-known scientists and clinicians not only in Russia but all over the world.
YSMU have good social facilities and structure (including five hostels, sport centers, student healthcare center, Volga River summer camp, andthe garden of medical plants).
Education of foreign students both on governmental (budget) and individual (contract) basis was started in YSMU since 1992, now YSMU has twenty-year unique experience in this area. Several international programs are available for foreign students. It is important that all programs are strictly adhere to the Federal State Educational Standards of Russian Federation, and are based on deep routed traditions of qualified Russian education.
Now many foreign students are getting their education at YSMU. They represent more than 40 countries (including citizens from Syria, Palestine, Jordan, Morocco, Greece, Tunis, Namibia, Kenya, Zambia, India, etc.).
Therefore, YSMU is a big and well-known educational, research and scientific center in the fields of fundamental sciences, clinical medicine and pharmacy. YSMU is recognized by WHO World Directory of Medical Schools. Professionals in Yaroslavl State Medical University are supporting new progressive methods and activities, and keep their reach traditions in the area of qualified education and scientific research at the same time.
The University is proud of its modern dormitory housing 600 people. Every section has two cozy rooms, a kitchen, a shower and a bathroom. The hostel for international students is located in the center of the city 30mtr from the University’s main building. Hostel has well equipped rooms with all modern facilities for 3 seated big rooms upgraded comforts, central heating. Reception, laundry, cleaning & washing personals, reading room, computer hall. Cost of living in Russia can be completely affordable and can also make it a comfortable place to live in.
Yaroslavl is situated in 280 km (or 175 miles) northern-western from Moscow, the capital city of Russia. It is possible to get to Yaroslavl by car, by bus, by train and by airplane (in example, usually it takes 4 hours to get from Moscow to Yaroslavl by bus or train). Yaroslavl was found about 1000 years ago. Yaroslavl population is about 700,000. People with different confessions and religions (Catholicism, Protestantism, Christianity, Islam and others) are living here, so everyone could find their churches and chapels in our city. The weather and the climate in Yaroslavl are not differed much from Moscow. Averaged temperature in summer is +28ºC (83ºF), in winter averaged temperature is -15ºC (5ºF).
Sightseeing and culture
Yaroslavl is one of the eight city’s of Russia’s Golden Ring, a group of touristic, historic towns around Moscow. Yaroslavl is situated on the north-eastern side of this ‘ring’ and is the largest city in its chain. Whilst the city is best known for its architectural merits, it also has a relatively large repertoire of cultural attractions.
Despite the effects of the Russian Civil War and a number of air-raids during the Second World War, the city of Yaroslavl has managed to retain a great deal of its 17th, 18th and 19th century urban substance. This has helped make the city recognizable as a monument to the architectural development and style of the Russian Tsardom. The center of the city, which covers an area of around 600 hectares has around 140 individual federally-protected architectural monuments. Since 2005, this ensemble, along with the Spaso-Preobrazhensky Monastery has been included on the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Despite all this, there are a number of buildings of architectural merit which are located outside of the city center.
The old town is effectively triangular in shape; this triangle is formed by the natural border provided to the south and east by the Kotorosl andVolga rivers, and on the land side by the geometric pattern of the street plan, which dates from the 18th and 19th centuries.
Constructed in 1506–1516 on the foundations of the original edifice dating back to 1216–1224. In the 16th century, the first stone wall is built around the monastery. It is from this monastery that an army of volunteers led by Minin and Prince Pozharsky set out to liberate Moscow from Polish invaders. In 1787, the monastery was closed and converted into a residence of the Yaroslavl and Rostov bishops. At that time, monastery buildings began to be reconstructed. New cells and the prior’s chambers were built.
The most well-known building in the city is the ‘Spaso-Preobrazhensky’ (‘Transfiguration of the Savior’) Cathedral of the Spassky (St Savior) Monastery  (russ. Спасо-Преображенский монастырь). This monastery was originally founded in the 12th century and thus it, and its cathedral, are the oldest buildings in the city. The Transfiguration Cathedral itself, built in the year 1516, is the oldest detached building standing in the city, (Спасо-Преображенский собор). Typical for a Russian monastery of the Middle Ages, the Spaso-Preobrazhensky Monastery in Yaroslavl was not built to be no more than a place of worship, but also to be a citadel and kremlin in case, in times of war, there was a need for such a facility. This is still visible today as the monastery is surrounded by a thick 16th century, white-painted wall, complete with watchtowers and embattlements. Within these walls stand the magisterial churches, which, with their asymmetrically-ordered towers and beautifully decorated interiors, make for wonderful examples of traditional Russian sacral architecture. In addition to this there is a gatehouse church, with which the monastery’s dungeons and treasury were connected. The monastery has long had a place in the history of Yaroslavl and continues, albeit nowadays as a museum, to play a significant role in the life of the city. It was largely thanks to the impregnability of the monastery that, during the time of the Troubles, the Russian peasants’ army was able to defend the city and then go on to liberate Moscow from its Polish-Lithuanian occupiers. At the end of the 18th century, the oldest known text of the Tale of Igor’s Campaign, the most renknowned work of Russian-language literature from the Middle Ages, was found in the library of the SPaso-Preobrazhensky Monastery. This masterpiece is now on display as a permanent exhibition within the monastery, along with other works of the age and an exhibition showing the conditions an author of the era would have lived in.
The often hectic square which is to be found just beyond the north gate of the monastery (main gate), is called Bogolavyenskaya Square (Epiphany Square) (Богоявленская площадь). This name comes from the nearbyEpiphany Church (Богоявленская церковь) which is seated at the south end of the square, near the bank of the Kotorosl. This church, with its five domes, and traditional Russian sacral architecture, is a classic example of a medieval Russian church. However, interestingly, the church has a separate clock-tower which was built in accordance with the sacral-architectural style of Muscovy in the years 1684–1693; this all goes to make the church one of the most noticeable examples of 17th century architecture in the city. In addition to this, the beautiful fresco-work inside the church was carried out by local artists during the building of the church, and has remained, almost unchanged, to this day.
The two streets which lead off Bogolavyenskaya Square to the north-west are very good examples of the type of urban planning which was formulated for Yaroslavl in the 18th and 19th centuries. They were laid out in 1820–1821 as new boulevards to run around the historic city center and were built on terrain previously occupied by a number of earthen and wooden fortifications which dated from the 16th century. There was also a small defensive moat in this area, and after the infilling of the moat and removal of all other fortifications, the defensive uses of the Spaso-Preobrazhensky monastery largely disappeared. This was, in general, not considered to be a great loss, as the requirement for such earth-works in order to maintain defensive readiness had long since been surpassed by other methods of securing a city by the point of their removal. The two municipal watchtowers which have been retained (the Vassily tower and Volga tower) were both positioned on the city’s outer defensive walls which afforded them clear views of oncoming enemy forces.
Within the old defensive limits of the city one can find many other examples of classicism, one important example of which would be the municipal trade rows ‘Gostiny Dvor’ (Гостиный двор) – these were built in 1813–1818, not long after the clearing of the land upon which they now stand. The style of the building, made noticeable by its many Ionic columns, is similar to that of many Russian trade rows and market halls built in the early to mid-19th century, all over the country. This style is also very complimentary to the 1911-built neoclassical Volkov Theater. At the end of Komsomolskaya Boulevard, upon which the trade rows are located, one finds themselves at ‘Volkov Square’ (площадь Волкова); where the ring-boulevard makes a slight deviation to the north-eat and carries on towards ‘Red Square’ (Красная площадь) and the city’s Volga embankment. Yaroslavl’s Red Square does not have the same etymology as the likewise-named Red Square in Moscow (the name of which stems from the old-Russian for ‘beautiful square’), rather in Yaroslavl’s case, its Red Square was first so-called in the 1920s, and was officially named in honor of the Soviet Red Guards. There are a number of buildings of historical interest on Red Square, one of which is the three-story building on the square’s north side which once housed Yaroslavl’s ‘aristocrat’s meeting house’ (Дворянское собрание), and is now the main building for the city’s ‘Demidov’ State University. Furthermore, the square is also the location where the city’s main fire department can be found; this is contained within a jugendstil building, built in 1911, and which has a large look-out tower, which even until the 1970s was actively used by the city’s fire brigade.